The Alpha Omega Alumni Association is excited to jump into our 127th year as a fraternity! We will be sharing dates for the annual events very soon, but in the meantime we wanted to share the new info regarding "pledging" and Greek life at Doane as a whole.
We have been working closely with the active members to solidify all of the activities and events happening during the new Greek rushing experience. There are a lot of changes and factors that are out of our hands, but there are many positives moving forward with Doane’s new model for pledging.
First of all, we want to communicate some bigger changes and new terminology that will be universally utilized from here on forward.
1. Hell Week/Greek Week/Weeks of the Greeks is no longer. The pledging process will now be 4 weeks long. (Month of Feb)
2. Pledging is no longer a term that Doane will be using. The term being used is “new member education“.
3. There will be a total of 32 “new member education” hours that will be utilized during the month of February to bring in the new class of AOs. Although this may seem like it is not enough time, in comparison - over the past five or 10 years, the active members have only been allotted roughly 20 hours within the one or two week structure.
4. No activities that were part of the “Greek Week” process have been removed. As a matter of fact, we have worked with the Active members to bring back a few of the more cherished activities. (For secrecy, these items are removed from this public post) To reiterate, everything is fully approved by the Doane administration, and we will be looking for support during the final day of new member education.
5. Alumni support: The actives will be looking for alumni support on the final day of new member education. This will mimic many of the final activities from the traditional “30 hours” experience. This will take place on Friday, March 1, 2024. Tentative time will be 5pm.
Be sure to check your email or send us one at firstname.lastname@example.org to get a detailed list of the activities done on this day. Once a formal schedule is in place, we will share it.
Lastly, the 2024 New Member Education (Traditionally Greek Week) started February 5th. We are proud to share that 4 New AOs will be joining our ranks.
They are (from left to right):
Taten Caroll Shoemaker - Kearney, Nebraska
Zebediah Woods Black - Hildreth, Nebraska
Jacob Michael Eacker - Lincoln, Nebraska
Cody Steven Eye - Newton, Kansas